peesed

I'm parked on the edge of dropping out of school... or transferring but I know transferring would perpetuate the problem I'm experiencing and not actually make it better.

Each semester I'm presented with a graduation plan that suggests and dictates what classes I need to graduate.  Each time I am able to register for classes I do my best to follow the plan. However for each semester I've been here, there have been a number of degree requirements that are unavailable or have scheduling conflicts with each other -- one of the classes doesn't even exist yet.

This semester, the one I'm in right now, should be my last semester as an underclass-person and next semester should be my first semester of my senior year EXCEPT that it's been pushed back because I can't take the classes that DON'T EXIST.



I'm now in a position to be held back as a _third semester junior_ for two classes -- one of which doesn't exist -- this has been an ongoing problem. And because they have me as a _third semester junior_ I'm not eligible to register for the thesis prep classes for next semester. The result is that my graduation date has been pushed back a full year.
  • the classes I need are only offered once a year
  • the classes I need have scheduling conflicts with other degree reqs I've been advised to prioritize. 
  • the classes I need have scheduling conflicts with themselves - they are offered at the same time/day
Next semester, and every semester following I can only take three classes- dropping me out of full time which negatively affects my financial aid.

Next semester there will be no class offerings or requirements that will have me producing animated work -- way to keep the momentum! I won't see anything that looks like animated output until next January. 

I would like them to let me move on and begin my thesis year, as I understood I would. I'm really angry.  This is not only a barrier to my accepting the full time job I'm being offered elsewhere, but it's also costing me an extra $17K, which should be enough to to make me angry.

I'm very seriously contacting a transfer rep at PSU ... like writing the email now.

mover, switching to PSU would save me $20K a year, no shit.

Comments

  1. Ouch! That really sucks! Academia can be so retarded sometimes. And too often they don't seem any bit interested in helping their students. Sorry, and good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts